Re: [AT-L] Re: [AT-L] Re: [AT-L] Electronics on the AT

At 06:57 PM 9/1/96 -0500, you wrote:
>>A lot of the problems stem from outright rudeness.
>
>BINGO! And in certain cases, if it's not technology, it'll be some other
>rudeness -- like playing the harmonica.

        Exactly - or like someone singing Irish ballads with 9000 verses at
6 a.m. (may be familiar to those who hiked in '95)
        I used a tape recorder to keep a journal, but didn't record into it
at the shelters, instead I waited until I took rest breaks along the trail
and was by myself.
I think it depends on people using some common courtesy and unfortunately it
only takes a small minority to wreck it for many others. I see no problems
with people using these devices as long as they understand that others may
see this as something less than a wilderness experience and that they should
use them discreetly and preferably utilize them when they are not in the
presence of others.  I love computers, but I took to the woods to get away
from technology and the urge to have instant gratification. The trail can be
a nice place for reflection, if you let it be.
   I would also like to welcome Wingfoot to the List! Perhaps Dan you could
make this courtesy point in your next edition.

	Mark Holmes
	Fox Hill Inn - Innkeeper
	VA 16
	Troutdale,VA  ( 4 miles from Dickey Gap on the AT)
	AT Hiker stopping point in the Grayson Highlands!
	540-677-3313 or 1-800-874-3313 (for reservations)
	email - mholmes@netva.com