Re: [AT-L] [AT-L] Sweetwater Guardian vs. Pur Hiker

John writes:

>   Well, I can't comment on the PUR Hiker specifically, but I have a PUR
> Scout that I had only used sparingly for a little over a year.  Very
> sparingly.  I had it out on a trip to Mount Rogers this July and it
> crapped out.  Totally.  Not clogged, but something else.  I suspect that
> it was a problem with the seals since I couldn't generate any pressure.
> And this happened just about 14 months after I bought it.  I guess those
> guys at PUR really know the mean time to failure for their equipment and
> structure thier warranties accordingly . . .

 Hello,
I have a PUR Scout and used it for three months on the Appalachian Trail
in 1993 and have used it every once in a while since then.  Other than
having to replace the filter unit twice, I have never had any problems
with it.  I have heard good things about both the Sweetwater and the PUR
Hiker and for my money, I think I would have gone for the PUR Hiker if it
had been out when I bought my filter.  One method to try out is to go to
the store of your choice and use both of them.  The salesperson should
let you try both out.  That way you can get a feel for how both of
them work.  Obviously, PUR's guarantee doesn't do you any
good out in the woods but it is nice to have.  Just some random thoughts.

Later,
Jason