Re: [AT-L] Sweetwater Guardian vs. Pur Hiker

On Thu, 29 Aug 1996 19:17:05 -0500 (CDT), Andrew Linger wrote:

>Well, I've been on this list for about 1.5 months now, and suppose it
>would be proper to introduce myself.
>I'm Andy Linger (no trailname yet) from Milwaukee WI.  I graduate
>tomorrow in Occupational Safety.  The last thing in the world I want
>to do right now is get a *real* job.  So this winter I plan on
>teaching skiing in Colorado.  Then I plan on my thru hike next march.
>  One of my biggest questions regards water filters.  I'm looking at
>the Guardian and the PUR Hiker.  Has anyone had bad experiences with
>either of these?  I know that PUR guarantees the Hiker for 1 full year, and
>have also heard many good things about the Guardian.

 Hi Andy,

Welcome to the list!  I recently bought a Pur Hiker and have only used
it on two trips so far, but it's worked fine.  I was torn between the
Sweetwater Guardian Plus and the Hiker, but settled on the Hiker.  It's
less $ and has similar capabilities.  I have yet to hear anything bad
about the hiker's performance.  And if you want to attach an iodine
matrix, you can as an add-on.  I think there's quite a debate on whether
one needs the virus protection offered by an iodine matrix on the AT (or
in the US in general).  With the Hiker, you can add it if deemed
necessary.  Pur is supposed to have their own iodine matrix for it, but
I think the sweetwater one fits too.  (Or was it the MSR... I can never
remember...)

The hiker is compact, fairly light, and seems well built.  The so-called
stuff sack that comes with it is junk -- toss it out and buy a smaller
one.  So far I've been happy with my decision.  I think both offer great
protection, so it's just a matter of your preference.  I'm sure you'll
be happy with either.

Good luck, and remember to actually *use* whichever one you get!  I've
heard many stories of people being too tired to filter their water and
subsequently wishing they hadn't been so lazy...

-Dave

Dave DeCroix     Ga->Me '98
decroix@brunt.meas.ncsu.edu
finger for PGP public key

"The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their
energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."  -John Muir