Why no dogs in GSMNP?

: Micheal, I am not attacking you personally here. Rather, I am using your
: post to vent a frustration I have been long feeling with many people I have
: known (some of them wilderness 'professionals').

: My response to the above is "how do you know who is a drunk driver and who
: is not?" You certainly don't take everyones car away! When you apply a rule
: on your behalf you impose a loss of freedom on others. And the world
: becomes alittle tighter for all of us. We all feel a bit more squeezed in.

This is probably not a good analogy since no one is trying to take your dog
away.  They are only restricting the use of your dog as there are many laws
that restrict the use of your car.  I can drive faster than the posted speed
limit safely, but there are many who can't, so we have speed limits.

: We live with drunk driving deaths. And we realize that we will have to face
: the idea of comforting those who realize a loss because of it. But we do
: live with it. Why? Because we know that to take our cars away implies a
: loss of freedom.  And we value that freedom. And so instead of taking away
: cars, we find another way... like more severe penalties.

: Freedom is what it all comes down too. Though we have a few bad apples out
: there, we need the freedom of environment to turn out the really good
: apples too. We need to learn to live with each other... and that means
: putting up with things we don't like (aka, drunk driving deaths and dogs on
: the trail).

The other side is going to argue that you should put up with things you don't
like (aka, restrictions on dogs in the back country).  We would all like the
personal freedom to do whatever we please, but this is not possible in the
crowded world we live in.  And guess what?  Its going to get a lot worse in
the future.  One thing that everyone who likes the back country should be
doing, is fighting to protect and increase public land.  Dwindling resources
and increasing population are going put pressure like never before on what is
left of public lands.  The equation is quite simple: less public land = more
restrictions on public land users.  Oh well, off the soap box for now.  Dogs
on the trail don't bother me as long as they are leashed and there owners
clean up after them.  Hope you win your fight.

                                        -Tom