Re: [AT-L] Why no dogs in GSMNP?

>Does anyone know WHY and HOW "they" managed to prohibit dogs in the park?
>After all, the entire rest of the 2,000+ miles of the AT does allow them.

Because it's a National Park and no dogs are allowed on *any* backcountry
trail in *any* national park. And the reason probably has to do with what
would happen if you *did* open trails up. Who is to say who is a
*responsible* dog owner and who's not? How's the park service going to
monitor that one?

Sure, you may be a responsible owner and your dog may be extremely well
trained and disciplined. However, given what I've seen, I'd say you're in an
extreme minority. Given the number of "responsible" owners I see violating
the no dogs rule in Shenandoah NP and the one I saw doing it at Grand Canyon
in May, given the amount of dog shit left all over my neighborhood by dog
owners, and given my own experience of almost having had my throat ripped
out by a dog brought into GW National Forest by a "responsible" dog owner
I'd just as soon not see them in the wilderness at all.

Michael McCoy

This message is purely personal opinion and does not represent the views of
any organization that I'm aware of.