Re: [AT-L] Fall Hike In The GSMNP

Snip:
>1)	I'm a big guy who hikes at between 1.5 and 2 miles per hour.  I know
> 	we will make our first night spot (Icewater) with no problems.  But,
>	if we could go a few extra miles up the Boulevard Trail prior to
>	pitching our tent, it would make day two easier.  What are the rules
>	about back-country camping in the GSMNP?  I've read on this list that
>	shelters are mandatory.  Is this true?

Icewater is a closed shelter, except for thru-hikers, so don't plan on
staying there. In GSMNP, you must stay in shelters or a designated
backcountry campsite. There are no backcountry campsites on that stretch, so
you will have to hike another 5.3 miles to the Mt. LeConte Shelter to stay
overnight. The days will be getting shorter, so unless you can really fly,
I'd start no later than 11:00. You have to reserve campsites to get a spot,
especially on this very popular site. You can do it 30 days in advance of
your visit (I highly recommend you call them as soon as they open) by
calling: 423-436-1231. LeConte is a rationed site, so you must make
reservations.

>2)	My son and I are both Florida boys.  Temps are still in the 90f - 95f
>	range in the day and 65f - 70f at night, in mid-October.  What temps
>	should we expect at that time in the GSMNP?  Will we need any special
>	cold weather gear?

At Clingman's Dome, which is not far from where you will be hiking, the
average high is 53, low is 38 for Oct. Average percip. is 5.4". Don't bring
any cotton. Do the layer thing, with an insulating layer, and something that
will break the wind. I have a goretex parka, MTS long johns, and polar
fleece. I would bring them in Oct. The weather up there is so changeable.
I've been there in Oct. when it was 80 degrees one day, and in the 40's the
next, with cold, driving rain. Excellent conditions for a nice case of
hypothermia.

>3)	Does anyone on this list have experence with these trails?  What can
>	we expect (should we look out for) on this hike?

>Boulevard Trail was shut down after the hurricane, but I think it's open
now. The AT to the Blvd. trail gains a little over 1,000 feet in 2.7 miles.
THe Blvd. trail is a series of ups and downs, but not hard at all. You gain
about 5 to 600 feet to the top of LeConte overall, but you will climb over
1,000 as the trail drops to 5500 feet in the 1st mile. Bullhead is all
downhill, and I haven't done Twomile Branch trail.

>4)	Any other tips or hints will be well received.
>
>Before you hike, purchase "Hiking Trails of the Smokies" by the Great Smoky
Mountains Natural History Assoc. Best trail book for the Smokies, bar none.
If you can't find it locally, call them at 423-436-7318 and you can order
it. Also, get yourself a Trails Illustrated Topo Map #229 for GSMNP. Get the
100% plastic one.

The area you are hiking in is one of the most popular in the park, so you
wil probably not find solitude. It's a great hike, though. I would suggest
you get the guidebook above and the map and plan some alternative hikes as a
backup. Hope this helps. The Smokies are one of my favorite places to hike.

Peter H. Fornof
athiker@plantnet.com
broknspoke@aol.com