Re: [AT-L] Re: [AT-L] Re: [AT-L] Re: [AT-L] Tents

At 07:49 PM 8/26/96 -0500, tarkus wrote:
>this brings up a question i've been meaning to ask for a while:
>
>Free-standing vs. not?  How often have you been on the trail and had to
>pitch a tent in a location that would only support a free-standing
>tent.  If you were on rocks or the ground was extreemely hard, I could
>see.
 I can remember a number of places where I was extremely glad that I didn't
have to try to drive pegs in; but the big deal is how many times in the
middle of the night when I got up to take a leak and DIDN'T trip over the
lines getting in or out of the tent.  Also I would not have been able to
take advantage of the best tent site on the whole AT which was a bed of moss
the size of my tent on some otherwise very hard rocks overlooking the
Shenandoah valley. Dr Doolittle