Re: [AT-L] Re: [AT-L] Re: [AT-L] Tents

Marshall DeBerry wrote:

> The SD Clip Flashlight has been a favorite of AT hikers for a number of
> years.  Although it's not free standing, it's light and does the job
> when you need it.
>                         Marshall
>                         "Tarkus"

this brings up a question i've been meaning to ask for a while:

Free-standing vs. not?  How often have you been on the trail and had to
pitch a tent in a location that would only support a free-standing
tent.  If you were on rocks or the ground was extreemely hard, I could
see.  How often does that happen?  Also, what inprovising techniques can
you come up with to set up a non freestanding tent under these
conditions?

thanks,

t.
--