Re: [AT-L] Re: [AT-L] Penn line to Harpers

On August 26, 1996 Roy Lawrence wrote:

>  I did the PA to Harper's Ferry stretch many years ago and had a great
>time.  I don't recall having any difficulty with water (I was hiking in
>July) and there are some great shelters on that section (I think the
>Molly Denton(?) condo is along that stretch.  As far as hanging your
>food, it's more a precaution against mice than bears--I've hiked the

Jim and Molly Denton Shelter is about 40 miles south of Harper's Ferry,
unfortunately.  Most of the shelters on the section south of PA are
"classic" AT style shelters--small, wooden log style. (I suppose that's
what the older AT shelters looked like.)  Rocky Run is a rather nice
shelter, with a swing and brook running nearby, in this section.  Two
shelter areas that can be problematic on weekends sometimes are Pine
Knob Shelter (right off of I 70/US 40), and Crampton Gap (first shelter
north of Harper's Ferry).  The closest to Harper's Ferry to see the
PATC "condo" style shelters is the first shelter south of Haper's--David
Lesser, which is about 9 miles south.

As Roy mentioned, mice will probably be a bigger problem than bears.  Also,
weekend hikers may be out in force on Labor Day weekend.
                             Marshall
                             "Tarkus"