S to N vs. N to S

  Does anyone have any comments/suggestions/advice on the advantages of
hiking Maine to Georgia as opposed to Georgia to Maine?  When should one
start a southbound thru-hike? (I'm thinking June, but don't really know).

 Also, I recently posted a query about a section of the trail in VA that
I'm planning to hike next month (Catawba to Rockfish Gap) asking for any
info.  I received one or two responses (thanks again Jim!) but then began
having problems of some sort and was bumped off the list.  I have just
now resubscribed and was hoping that people would be kind enough to
re-post their responses (if any).

Thanks!

Roy