Re: Titanium Cookware

I don't know if you have access to rec.backcountry ,
but I just posted some results of tests that Alison
and I have been doing over the last four weekends, with
the Evernew titanium ,and a MSR stainless, and an Evolution
teflon coated. To make it short what we found, using
different stoves the TI consistently took less time, and
fuel to do the same thing ie. boil three cups of water,
and the cool down time was only slightly less with the TI,
which is not necessarily bad. The Evolution cleaned up
easier, but the TI was easier to clean than the stainless.
We tried the TI with our ultralite Outback Oven and found it
worked great, but we did have to make sure we kept the flame
lower, it doesn't seem to take as much of a heat source to
generate the same output as with the other cookware. A person
from the McDonald Observatory wrote me with a very scientific
explanation of why that is:

"The thermal transfer flux through the pot depends on several
 things:
  1. temperature difference across the metal
  2. surface area heated (different depending on pan cross section)
  3. specific thermal conductivity of the metal (highest for aluminum,
     lower for stainless and TI)
  4. *THICKNESS* of the pan (almost certainly, the TI pan is the thinnest)
It's an old machinist's maxim that to built something with the same
stiffness from aluminum, you have to make it as heavy as you would
from steel. But with TI you get a savings of about a factor or two.
I suspect your TI pan is about half the thickness of the steel pan.
Don Barry
McDonald Observatory, UT/Austin "

 That goes slightly over my head, all I can say is it works great
and at half the weight of the other two, it's hard to pass up.

Sandy and Alison
"The Smiths"
GA to ME 97
PS. to all who have written Alison and I will post
our equipment list as soon as we get time to transfer
it from low tech, (our spiral bound notebook) to something
more high tech ,email.