More tent questions

While we're on the topic, I've a question of my own.  I've never owned my
own tent, I've just basically mooched off of friends :-) but I think it's
high time I made the investment.  One thing I've been wondering about is
free-standing vs. non.  Just how important is that feature in the grand
scheme of things?  Is it just a matter of ease of use in putting up?  Or are
there other considerations like perhaps a particular tent site not having
very many good places to place your stakes?  (Is that possible or likely?)
 In particular, I'm shopping with an eye towards buying a tent for my AT
hike, scheduled to go off in a few years.  I was considering a Stephensons
but 1) they're not freestanding and 2) I don't know where I could go and see
one and I'm a little hesitant buying my first from a brochure (even if it is
a *very* unusual brochure...).  And about their single-wall construction,
does that pose any problems?  Condensation?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jennifer
Parisi1@brwhcc3.hcc.com