Re: Introduction, and a question about glasses vs. contact lenses

>Hello,
>
>The note that came back when I asked to join this list suggested that I
introduce myself, so here goes.

>My interest in walking started about one year ago (since I'm 36, I guess
that makes me a late bloomer).  So far, the more I walk, the more
>I like walking.  Here are some of my reasons:
>
> - It feels really good to get outside and use my body.
> - The world we live in is beautiful.
> - Getting away is good for my soul.
> - It's good for me (and more fun than spinach)
>
>I haven't done any long distance walking yet, but I plan to walk the
Susquehannock Trail (an 85 mile loop in northern PA) this September.
> In the mean time, I'm going on some weekend trips this summer, am
dayhiking on weekends, and try to get out around the neighborhood a few
>times a week.
>
>The best looks I get are when I pack the groceries home from the supermarket.
>
>My question is: what do folks do for vision correction on the trail?  I
wear glasses (I wore soft contacts years ago), but have noticed
>that they don't work very well in bad weather.  Contact lenses don't fog or
bead water, but they require more care.  Some of the issues I
>have thought of are:
>
> - what about hygine... getting hands really clean on the trail is a bit
difficult.
> - what about disposable lenses...
> - what about extended wear lenses...
>
>I'd love to get some real info.
>
>Thanks!
>
>-- Jim

Jim,

Welcome to the list. I wear disposable contact lens; Accu View brand, I
think. I keep them in two weeks and pitch them. No problems at all. Not hard
to wash your hands on the trail and put them in. If you are thru-hiking,
you'll most always be in a town every week or so, so you could change them
then. I used to wear extended wear lenses, but switched to disposables about
a year ago, and they work great.

Pete Fornof
athiker@plantnet.com
broknspoke@aol.com