Correct use of AT

This past week I camped, hiked, and biked in the National Forest in Southwest Virginia. While hiking part of the AT that goes through Smyth County and is close to the Highlands Horse Trail I noticed sign that horses had been on the AT. At one access to the AT there was a horse trailer parked. Is this normal on the AT or was this an isolated case? Interesting also were the many mountain bike tracks on the Highlands Horse Trail even though that trail is marked as no bikes allowed. I'm not trying to start a flame war - I'm just curious if most trail users follow the rules that make these resources better for all of us.

Have a nice day.