Re: ems club day/Mt. Smith packs

On Thu, 2 May 1996 Pooombah@aol.com wrote:

> for those of you who don't already know, today is an EMS club day
> in other words 20% off everything.
> when lunch hour turns into alisa as a kid in a candy store.
> anyone have a credit card i can borrow?

My credit card usually has skid marks by the end of club day!

On another topic, I just want to throw in my opinion on Mountainsmith
packs, as long as people were talking about them.
I had a Frostfire III that I got rid of for a problem which was symptomatic
and I saw in many people wearing (or trying to wear).
Often, the hipbelt doesn't fit well, leaving a big gap between the
persons body and the belt, from the side all around to the back.
This led to misery for me under a full load because then the belt would
not stay in place.  The front kept tilting North, till the buckle dug
into my ribs.  The only way to avoid that was to lower the whole base of
the pack down till it was banging my butt.
Needless to say, none of these arrangements carried the load well.  My
shoulders ache just thinking about it.

I understand the Crestone is a little better, it has a floating hipbelt,
if I recall.
I still stay away from the brand because they are a little busy for me,
though.  Especially with the shovel pocket, too hard to figure out which
buckles match up with which.

-jeff
Jeff Mosenkis,
University at Albany - Psych, Anthro, Judaic Studies

jm1360@cnsvax.albany.edu

"Welcome to the psychotherapy hotline.  If you are obsessive-compulsive,
please press '1' repeatedly.  If you are co-dependant, please have someone
else press '2' for you.  If you have multiple-personality disorder, please
press '4', '5', and '6'.  If you are paranoid, don't press anything, we know
where you are and what you want."