Introduce myself

I've been lurking for some time and finally decided to introduce myself -
now that I have something to say!  I'm a 39 yr. old thru-hiker wannabe (too
many young children to go now).  One of my former students started three
days after his Master's defense last year and his occasional postcards
really got me interested.

My oldest son (13) and I have started doing some short trips on the Pinhoti
trail in east Alabama.  What do other folks think about extending the AT
across Georgia and into Alabama?

On a separate note, we are planning a 4 day trip from Neels Gap - Springer -
Amicalola around May 20.  Is this too ambitious (or not ambitious enough?)
for a couple of rookies?