Re: replacing boots & shelter space

>snip

>On another subject - but somewhat related - regarding the thruhikers who
expect to get first use of the shelters as a "right"   -  it always seemed a
bit ironic that the weekenders who often  were ill prepared and badly geared
were expected to sleep outside while the thruhikers, who of all people ought
to have the right gear and be prepared for camping, expected the inside
spots.  I know it is a pain to have to set up camp in the rain - but better
that those with the proper gear do it than those with the kmart tents and
cotton clothes.  In the Smokies there were only two beds allotted for
thru-hikers per shelter - how often did the thruhikers give up their beds to
those who had made reservations weeks in advance?

>My $0.02 worth.
>
>Ginny Spirit Walker Frost

Ginny,

The Park Service now allots 3 spaces to thru-hikers in the Smokies. We
didn't have any problems as no more than 12 hikers used the shelters when I
hiked thru. Two of us were out for 4 days and the rest were thru hikers. I
did hear that on prior nights that 19 were at Silers Bald Shelter, all thru
hikers.

We didn't have any problems at all. Everyone was very considerate. Wasn't
treated any differently by anyone, just because I was a "lowly" section
hiker out for 4 days. My big fear prior to the hike was that if I had set up
a tent near or in the general vicinity of the shelter, I would be fined by
the Park Service. I thought maybe that the Rangers would look the other way
if it were a thru hiker. I did have confirmed reservations.

Pete Fornof
athiker@plantnet.com
broknspoke@aol.com