Timberline boots

>I recall that a particular
>company wouldn't replace a pair of boots for a thruhiker and they got
>flamed pretty bad in the registers for miles along the trail.  (OK, the
>company in question was ... Timberline.)

I gotta differ on Timberline.  I owned a pair of Timberlines for around 4
years.  The last six months I had them I wore them while cleaning up the
storm debris after a tornado wrecked my old home and while cleaning up
around the construction site of my new home.  Needless to say, the soles
were worn to the point they were split across the arch.  I'm so cheap I
wanted to resole them rather than buy new boots.  When I called Timberline
about the cost of resoling, the phone person reminded me that the boots had
a lifetime warranty and that I could return them for repair or replacement
at no cost.  I explained in grisly detail that I'd just worn them out--it
wasn't Timberline's fault.  No dice--they wanted me to return them.  The
happy ending was that I got new boots.  Perhaps enough hikers had "lit 'em
up" that Timberline decided an exchange policy was the way to go.
Jim Greenway