Re: water proofing a sleeping bag

On Tue, 16 Apr 1996, tfort wrote:

> Does anyone know of a material, and, its source, I could use to better
> water-proof the bag?  Without ruining the material!   I've thought about
> scotch-guard, available at any local super-market.  Any Ideas?

Nikwax has been well known in the last 2 years or so for making very good
environmentally freindly waterproofing stuff.  I just used the stuff for
fleece on my fuzzies and it really is amazing - I held my sleeve under
the faucet and the water just ran right off of it.

Anyway, they also make a "down-proof" I think.  It washes into the bag
and coats the feathers so they don't absorb as much water.  Availible
from Campmor (1-800-campmor)

-jeff

Jeff Mosenkis,
University at Albany - Psych, Anthro, Judaic Studies

jm1360@cnsvax.albany.edu

"Welcome to the psychotherapy hotline.  If you are obsessive-compulsive,
please press '1' repeatedly.  If you are co-dependant, please have someone
else press '2' for you.  If you have multiple-personality disorder, please
press '4', '5', and '6'.  If you are paranoid, don't press anything, we know
where you are and what you want."