Re: gear stuff... again

On Mon, 15 Apr 1996, E. George Oeser wrote:
> ultralight Thermarest and has a wonderful non-slip pastic covering, I think
> it was the first time in my life that I slept on a sleeping pad insrtead of
> next to one.

the new thermarests are made with a higher friction surface called
stay-tek or something like that.  It feels like cordura nylon.
For those of us stuck with the old slippery kind, cascade designs I think
does put out a high friction spray-on coating, but the only person I know
who ever used it hated it.

There is also a product called the slip-not (get it- "slip-knot"?) which
is a thin sticky rubber mat (about 10" wide) which wraps (and secures w.
velcro) around your therma-rest to stop you from waking up in a pile on
the downhill side of your tent.

BTW - my backpacking trip for this past weekend got cancelled (all the
others pulled out because of the imminant monsoons - wimps!) so I am
going to try it again this coming weekend.  Does anybody know about mud
conditions in the Adirondacks? (Pharoh Lakes region, near Lake George)

thanks,
jeff (the gear weenie)

Jeff Mosenkis,
University at Albany - Psych, Anthro, Judaic Studies

jm1360@cnsvax.albany.edu

"Welcome to the psychotherapy hotline.  If you are obsessive-compulsive,
please press '1' repeatedly.  If you are co-dependant, please have someone
else press '2' for you.  If you have multiple-personality disorder, please
press '4', '5', and '6'.  If you are paranoid, don't press anything, we know
where you are and what you want."