Re: Natural Bridge ATC?

> Date:          Mon, 15 Apr 1996 02:39:58 -0500 (CDT)
> From:          rhymworm@nando.net (Robert A. Rubin)
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <at-l@patsy.hack.net>
> Subject:       Natural Bridge ATC?

> Is there anyone on the list from the Natural Bridge ATC in central
> Virginia? If so, I just wanted to pass along a compliment, and a gripe.

 Not a NBATC member... but I do happen to live only six miles from
PB Shelter... and have spent many a night there.

> Compliment: Just finished a really nice 22-mile overnight, southbound from
> US 60 to the James River. The trail was beautifully maintained, with a lot
> of careful drainage and design, and in great shape. Keep up the good work!

 Yeah... they do a great job.

> Gripe: Spent the night at Punchbowl Shelter. Beautiful spot, and the
> treefrogs from around the pond sang us to sleep. But I was a little irked
> by the club member (?) in charge of the shelter register. He (she?) is
> apparently a Jehovah's Witness, and the register was interlarded with
> religious proselytizing, and numerous Jehovah's Witness brochures were
> scattered around the shelter. If this were a hostel, it would be
> understandable. But it's a shelter in the wilderness. The voice of the
> divine was plenty loud from the bushes around the pond.

 Hmm... I understand what you are saying. BUT... the only problem
that I really see is that, the JW brochures were "scattered" around
the shelter.
 The brochures and the writing, are probably protected by the
First Amendment? :-)
 But seriously... this shelter, in the past, was often a real trash
dump. PB was accessible by road... and you would NOT
believe some of the amounts of trash that I(others) have hauled
out of that place. Things are "overall" so much better in recent
years.
 My advice would be to pickup any of the brochures around the
shelter, and haul them to a proper place of disposal. You might
leave one or so behind... in case someone is interested.
 I'll drop by PB in a day or so... and have a look-see.
 be well Robert
        d. lee
 (Just Another Redneck Buddhist) -- we don't have brochures :-)