Bears on the Trail

Hi,

Marshall DeBerry talked about an encounter with a bear on the AT in NJ.  I
know from time to time folks have talked about bears on the trial however, I
don't remember anyone giving a definitive explanation of what one might do
upon coming face to face with one of these denizens of the trial.  Since
many live to tell the tail, is there not much danger in the meeting of human
and bear? I seem to recall banging a pot or blowing a whistle as the
deterrent of choice. Thanks

PS I listed my name as thru-hiking the trial this year, but a new job
prevented that.  I am going to do a month beginning about May 15. I will be
leaving from the Delaware Water Gap in NJ and going north as far as I can
get in 30 days.  It's not a thru-hike but will have to suffice for now. I
have really enjoy this list thanks to everyone for their willingness to
share thoughts and ideas. Rich