Re: NJ trip

>The April 1996 issue of Outside magazine lists the section of the Appalachian
>Trail on the Kittatinny Ridge, High Point state park as the best trail in NJ.
>Russ          TrailAt@aol.com
>                 russelldade@attmail.com

Yeah, I was really surprised at how pretty this section of the Trail in NJ
was, particularly right after leaving Delaware Water Gap.  After Sunfish
Pond, you start walking on a ridge that made me think I was back in Virginia
and seeing the Shenandoah valley on one side.  There's a few nice views
just before High Point, but the best are in the southern part.  However,
I was hiking in June, and it was pretty hazy and hot.  It was shortly after
the side trail to Gren Anderson that I saw my first bear on the Trail--a
pretty neat sight.  We both observed each other for a couple of minutes,
and then slowly moved on.  The bear had a radio collar on, and seemed to
have some mange, but it was still a bear!!, and an experience I'll long
remember.

Marshall
"Tarkus"