Re: AT-L digest 76

>Ken wrote--

It woke me up in the middle of the night, which means it was extremely loud,
and it continued throughout the night.
> My friends and I have different opinions on what it could be.  I sounded
like a bird being tortured and squawking
>desperately for help, but it was too prolonged, guttural, deep, and loud,
in my opinion.  Another thought it was a dear
>getting violently ill.  My friend, who was a zookeeper, believes it was a
mountain lion,  supporting this belief by the fact
>that the lynx at the zoo make similar noises.  Tentatively we've been
calling it Death Cat.

My SWAG (scientific wild assed guess) is was a screech owl or owls courtship
and mating calls.
>I heard a very low thumping noise
>in the pattern of a ball bouncing to a stop.  At first I thought this could
be a pile driver nearby, but my friend insists that it is
>some sort of grouse that pounds its wings on the ground.  I find it hard to
believe that any bird outside of a Godzilla movie
>could reverberate a sound like that through the ground.

No doubt about it--you almost certainly heard a ruffed grouse. A lot of
people don't have the range of hearing to detect them--good job.

Jim Greenway