Re: plantar fascia

> Date:          Thu, 11 Apr 1996 15:55:58 -0500 (CDT)
> From:          Pooombah@aol.com
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <at-l@patsy.hack.net>
> Subject:       plantar fascia

> hi all...
> i've been hobbling through these past four days dealing with pain more
> intense than anything i've ever felt (don't know what childbirth feels like
> but if it's like this-no thanks!)
> :)
>   and with a little asking around, i've found that this pain has a
> name--plantar fascia.  thanks to a web page on the condition, i have an all
> too graphic description: '...a painful tearing of the plantar fascia
> connecting the toes to the heel...' '...the attachment of the plantar fascia
> into your heel bone may begin to stretch and pull away from the heel bone..."
> this is unbearable--i'm literally going crazy with pain, to the point of
> having laughing fits.
> i hope more than anything that no one else has experienced this but would
> love to know what other people have done to alleviate it and more
> importantly, how long it will take to heel.  all of a sudden i can barely
> walk--have a charity 10 mile walk on sunday, the work weekend w/ the KTA next
> weekend, a wilderness first aid course the weekend after that...  someone
> please tell me this will heal with some crazy conconction of mushed up fruit
> loops or eye of newt...
> anxiously...
> alisa

Alisa,

I have the same problem, which was made very bad two years ago with a
long 23 mile day( backpacking) Never again.
I saw a podiatrist who I really trust and he did the following.
1.  Injected the heel spur with cortisone.  ( Really painful, I'm a
dentist so I should know.)  Got remarkable relief for 6 weeks.

2. Got Spenco arch supports.  After 1st injection.  Helped for a
while.

3. Take Advil or other anti-inflamitory when hiking (especially
afterward)

4.  Got custom fitted orthotics for hiking and all other shoes.

%.  Now I am relatively pain free, but sometime at the end of the day
my arch hurts until I take the Advil.  Still hiking thourhg and can
do 12 mile days with 45lb packwith minimal problems.

Rich