Re: Candy Bars as Trail Food

>> I am wondering about the people who lived off candy bars the whole time.
> Is this a myth???  Would any of you tell someone to gain weight before the
>hike???
>
>I know Warren Doyle to have lived off Snickers bars during an AT hike. While
>his advice on the psychological side of the AT experience--a leading cause of
>not completing a thru-hike--is on target, I wouldn't ever emulate his eating
>habits at home or on the trail. I also wouldn't gain too much weight ahead of
>time. Most men loose pounds and inches and most women loose inches and stay
>at nearly the same weight or even gain weight, but this isn't enough reason
>to start laying in a layer of fat before a hike.
>
>Good luck and happy trails,
>
>FrankLogue@aol.com

What about someone like myself who is pretty drasticly underweight, I am 5'
11" and curently weigh 130lbs. I am also diabetic (type 1, aka insulin
dependent) and so I have had several discussions with my doctor about doing
a thru-hike, he has recomended that I try and put on at least 10 to 15
pounds before I start my hike. Of course he has never done a thru-hike and
you could very well know something that he doesn't, so would you still say
that someone of my build shouldn't try and put on some weight... I don't
really think I can afford to loose any!

E. George Oeser (aka Needles)
synergy@nc5.infi.net