Re: Northbound vs. Southbound

I had the pleasure of hiking both directions on my flip-flop thru-hike in
'94.  Ended up hikingabout 200 miles more inthe southbound direction.
Biggest difference was the attitude of hikers.  I thought some northbounders
were motivated by the community atmosphere, the partying in towns, and the
thrill of finishing on Kathadin by October (hence had to maintain a
schedule).  The southbounders I hiked with were more relaxed and because
there were fewer of them, seemed more interested in being on the Trail to
hike.  Kind of depends what you are looking for your hiking experience.
Bugs (huge mosquitos) and raging streams are waiting for you inJune in
Maine, but the scenery is incredible.  The crowds await in the South, but
it's nice to be with other novice thru-hikers and go through the same
trials together.  Besides I think the Southern forests and balds are just
as, if not more, awing for their simple splendor than the "big hills" up
north.  The best part of the Trail is not up North; it's wherever you
feel the most at home on the Trail.  There are problems with both
directions, but the benefits definitely outweigh them.

Tara
Trail Snail, GA>Harpers Ferry<ME '94