Helpful motels along the AT

What are some of the places (motels, stores, etc.) that you thru hikers out
there especially remember for their helpfulness, generousity, kindness? Has
anyone stayed at the Fontana Motel? Although I haven't stayed there, (I will
tonight), Nancy, the proprietor, has been very helpful and was able to
squeeze me in tonight amongst the thru hikers laying over (just like a
shelter, but I hope cleaner!). Let me know about the "good" places and maybe
a few of the horror stories if they exist. Thanks.

Pete