Re: yet again... boots

It was my experience that one can never be too easy on boots.  I
personally went through three pairs in seven months.  Besides, the
leather uppers are usually not the first to go; the soles usually come
unglued or wear out long before then.

My strategy: I bought one pair of leather boots for the cold months, one
pair of lightweights for the summer months, and bought my third pair in
Lincoln NH in the middle of the Whites.  I also carried lots of duct tape
to hold the soles in place until I could get to an outfitter.  Of course,
all of this depends on what kind of rainfall you'll have on the Trail and
how much you'll have to slog through.