hostel question

Hello out there-

This doesn't have anything to do with the AT, but some of you out there
might be able to help.  I am traveling out to Colorado and Montana for three
months this summer (working, otherwise I'd be on the AT!!!) and on my way I
will be doing some backpacking and sight seeing.  How do I get info on all
the different hostels (sp?) across the country, and what is the deal with
them?  How much do they cost, what are they like, restrictions, do I need to
reserve a space, etc.  ?????  I have no idea.  Is there anyone out there who
can help me?  Even a 1 800 number would help.  ANYTHING!!!!
Thanks, Amy

Follow-Ups: References: