Blisters

I think that blisters are inevitable for most hikers. The next step is to
look at remidies. The best treatment I have found is Compeed Skinprotectors
apllied as follows:

1.Sterilze the area with alcohol

2.Cut a small hole in the blister to drain the fluid. A pin prick isn't good
enough, because it will seal up, and the blister will re-fill.

3.Cover the area around the blister with tincture benzoin compound, and let
dry for a couple of minutes.

4.Cover the blister with a Copmeed pad.

Applied in this fasion, the Compeed will stay on for several days. According
to the package insert, this is ok, as it will keep the blister clean and dry
, while providing welcome cushioning an protection .

Compeed works MUCH better than anything else I have ever tried, and I have
tried them all. It even works well to protect "hot spots" before you
blister. They are rather expensive (about $1 a pad) but will last for
several days, so $.30 a day to eliminate stabbing pain each step is IMHO
worth it.

Compeed is available at REI, some pharmacies, and the distributer:

Bruder Healthcare Co
1-800-666-5382
1395 S Marietta Pkwy, Building 630
Marietta, GA 30067