Re: Sierra zip stove

>>I'm considering stoves to take on the AT with me.  I like the low
weight = and wood as fuel that the Sterra zip wood burning camp
stove uses.  Has anyone experience with this stove or an opinon on
it?
       Used 1 on FT, worked great for me. Someone else asked same
thing, so I'll repeat my ideas on ZIP. It's a fairly good stove to
use on the AT, as no lack of fuel. There are a few drawbacks(to
me). I use the model with the "C" battery. The wood chips must be
fairly small, the stove requires constant feeding, ie, take pot off
,feed fire, put pot back on, off, etc. You should carry some type
of fire starter, and/or, during the day, whittle up some fuzz
sticks. Another way, carry broken up self light charcoal
brickettes. Don't use whole brickettes, as they last a lot longer
than the time to cook something, and then you must dispose the hot
coals properly. If the weathers bad, ie, raining, and your in a
lean-to, no hikers there are going to appriciate the smoke! And, of
course, using that stove in tent is not wise. You should have 2
good bags, 1 for the stove, 1 for pot, as both get blackened and
sooty, even with soap film on outside of pot.

Over all, I think it's a great stove to use, if your just going
hiking for a short time, and the weather's fair, but I wouldn't use
it as my primary stove on an extended backpack trek. As I stated,
did so on thru-hike of FT, only had a few times of waiting to cook
a hot meal, because of the weather. All of the above I learned
about ZIP, on that 2 1/2 month trek.