Introduction: new list member

Greetings! Thanks to a posting on the backcountry newsgroup, I came across
this listserv. I'm planning to thru-hike the AT in 1999 with my sister, and
appreciate all tips.

Thru-hiking has been on my mind since high school. I grew up in West
Milford, NJ, where my parents often took us on chunks of the trail -
Wayawanda, Warwick, Vernon, etc. It's been years since I've done anything
but day hikes, and I plan to start working my way into longer trips this summer.

I've always been into the outdoors, my idea of a great vacation is haunting
state and national parks. Compromise with allergen-bound hubby means no
camping, which I miss, and I'd like to be able to get together with some PGH
area group (Sierra club?) to get out again. As one place to turn for
outdoors companionship, I've signed up to get training as a camp leader for
Girl Scouts (sis-in-law is a troop leader, and needs help). I collect rocks
& minerals, love photography, and am trying to break out of my many years of
computing back into freelance writing -- travel, outdoors, and children's
genres. Expecting my first published article, on Pine Creek Gorge ("The
Grand Canyon of PA") to be published in the PGH Tribune-Review this month.

Stop by and see my website, I have lots of links for the outdoors. And
thanks for having me along! - Sandy
Sandra & David Downs 		<downs@nb.net>
 Pittsburgh, PA        	     	Visit Cyberwall! http://www.nb.net/~downs/