Re: Sierra zip stove

In a message dated 96-04-03 03:53:04 EST, weill@eel.ufl.edu (J-V-W) writes:

>	I considering stoves to take on the AT with me.  I like the low weight
>and wood as fuel that the Sterra zip wood burning camp stove uses.  Has
>anyone experience with this stove or an opinon on it?

I've used the Sierra Zip wood burning stove on three long distance section
hikes and had no trouble with it.  Bring some fire sticks with you to get it
started.  I cut a fire stick into six pieces and use one or two pieces to get
it started depending on the wood's dryness.  It won't burn with soaked wood,
but I can usually find reasonably dry wood  under the shelter.  Also, I have
carried a day's supply of wood.  The stove simmers well but you will
generally have to add wood to the stove a couple of times to get a cup of
water boiling and cook half a Lipton dinner.  I use a small tent stake to
lift the Zip pot up and add wood to the fire rather than try and feed wood
through the opening under the pot because I'm afraid I'll knock the pot over
it I do that.  I have never knocked the stove and pot over but it is not that
stable and needs to sit on a fairly level, stable surface.  Wood, pine cones,
and charcoaled wood are good sources of fuel.  Other disadvantages of the
stove are, it will take you longer to get your dinner ready versus someone
with a regular stove, your pot will be black, and it will smoke up a shelter,
although not anywhere as bad as a fire in the shelter's fire pit.  I had
always though that smoke was just a part of the hiking experience, but one
hiker complained about it on my last trip.  You can solve the smoke problem
by cooking away from the shelter, but on rainy days this is not to practical.

Bruce