Re: AT expeditions/group hikes

Russ was wanting feedback re: hiking with a group or hiking alone.
For my 2 pesos worth:
	I've done both and enjoy both for different reasons. I like the
solo part esp. since I am on my own time schedule..I tend to arise at the
break of noon when I'm on vacation & like a leisurely hike (ok, I piddle,
as my friends would say) so the only miles I have to do are my own. I
also see a lot more wildlife when I'm solo as I tend to not have outloud
conversations with myself. I like the flexibility and being responsible
for only me (& perhaps my dog). I have some great memories of wonderful
solo backpacks.
	On the other hand, I've often hiked with a small group of friends
or with my buddy, Caroline. Likewise, I have some great memories of
wonderful trips, which are even more memorable because there's two of us
sharing the memories. When soloing on the AT, I early on hooked up with
another solo woman for the 2 months she was out, and we had a great trip.
Even though we were hiking together, some days she left before me & we
met up later, some days we hiked together, some days we hooked up with
other hikers we met on the trail & were a group for a week or two. There
was still some flexiblity, esp. since we each were self-contained.
	I would personally find it difficult to hook into a large group
who I didn't know...it's just that I like to have the flexibility to
leave if I want....
	Hope this gives you some feedback. Pat