Re: Hip belt fit

On Mon, 1 Apr 1996, Milt Webb wrote:
[buying a pack story]
> The salesperson was very helpful and patient as I loaded it up with 30#
> and tried it on. We extended the frame to get a good fit. Once I got it
> home and was reading the pamphlet the was inside I realized that I may
> have been wearing it too low on my hips for the adjustment we made.
>
> The pamphlet said that the hip belt should be *above* the points of the
> hip bones and the buckle would be approx. even with your belly button. In
> the store I had it at least 2-3" lower than this. As I recall, the
> salesperson didn't really coach me on the hip belt placement, just that
> the shoulder straps were wrong and we needed to lengthen the frame.

OK, the placement of the hipbelt is often not clear, I will tell you what
I understand.

First and foremost, the point is that the weight of the pack is supposed
to be on the hips.  Do whatever it takes to have the weight pressing down
onto your hipbones.  For some, that is accomplished by wearing the
hipbelt pressing against the hips and cinched tightly.
I usually recommend wearing the hipbelt a little higher so that the lower
part of the belt is pressing down onto the points of the hipbones.  That
usually gives the best weight transfer for me and also most stability,
the belt doesn't slip down as much.  The bottom line, though is to do
what is best for you.  Experiment.

If you feel that you have gotten the pack frame to the desired length,
there is also usually an adjustment for how the pack rides in the hipbelt
attachment.  There are usually 2 or 3 settings for the pin to go into the
frame and different heights in the hipbelt, changing how high or low the
belt rides on the frame.  That might be something to experiment with.

Good luck,
jeff

Jeff Mosenkis,
University at Albany - Psych, Anthro, Judaic Studies

jm1360@cnsvax.albany.edu

"Welcome to the psychotherapy hotline.  If you are obsessive-compulsive,
please press '1' repeatedly.  If you are co-dependant, please have someone
else press '2' for you.  If you have multiple-personality disorder, please
press '4', '5', and '6'.  If you are paranoid, don't press anything, we know
where you are and what you want."