Re: Katahdin

> Hi all,
>
> I'm a Bostonian working off winter leg weariness and getting ready for
> spring and summer hiking fun.  I'm planning a trip to Katahdin in Early
> June and I'm wondering what the pros and cons are to bringing a canoe (will
> it limit the great terrain I can see in 7 days? am i better off going in

Steven, I think you will have problems getting a conoe up Katahdin via the
Hunt Spur trail and I am certain that it will be impossible to do so via the
Knife Edge Trail.  Once up, there is only a small spring and not really enough
water to float the canoe.

The pros:  you will make a name for yourself by being the first to portage over
Katahdin.

Just kidding, Steven.  Of course you probably meant to say you were bringing a
canoe to Baxter State Park, wherein is found Mt. Katahdin.  I can't really
address your real question, other than to say that I think canoeing for a week
in that area must be a real treat, other than constant presence of the black
flies.  I hope you get some serious replies to your query.

John Newman