Re: cameras, polarizing filters

> I usually carry an SLR because I really like the effect that I get from a
> polarizing filter and I have not found a light-weight, compact, non-SLR
> camera that can take a polarizer. If the sun is out at all a polarizer
> will make bright, saturated colors out of what would have been tinted
> grays.  Of course, the polarizer has little effect when you are in heavy
> fog or when you are walking in a cloud.
>
> Does anyone know of a super-light camera that can use a polarizer?  Until
> I find one, I'll stick to my SLR.
>
> Bob Shroy

Before there were SLR cameras they made polarizing filters equipped with a
smaller filter on a side stalk, which you could look through while rotating
the filter for best effect.  I have used clip-on polarizing sunglasses with
rangefinder and "point 'n shoot" cameras:  Hold one side in front of the
lens, look through the other and rotate for that neat dark-sky effect.  The
optical quality of the clip-ons isn't the greatest but they seem to work
acceptably.  The polarizer must cover the camera's light sensor (or you
must manually adjust the exposure accordingly) because even the best
polarizing filters transmit only about 1/3 of incident light.  You could
get a sheet of polarizing material (e.g.  from Edmund Sci. Co.) and hold it
in front of a non-SLR camera which is not equipped to take filters.

--

Frank     reid@indiana.edu