Re: MSR XGK stove

On Wed, 27 Mar 1996, macbeth wrote:

> Here is my problem, I have recently received an MSR XGK shaker jet stove as a
> gift. (I used to use a whisperlite)  When I started it up, the priming flame
> almost set everything on fire. [snip].   So how does one control size of
the priming
> flame? I tried everything I could think of, less priming fuel, less pressure
> in the fuel bottle.

I remember being woken up on the AT by a sound akin to a low flying
jet.  My tentmate groaned and wondered what it was, fortunately, I knew
what the XGK sounded like and that we didn't have to dive for cover, it
was just the guys in the next site making breakfast.

No doubt, the XGK is a great stove, it will burn almost anything,
anytime, and altitude, etc.  The problem is inherent to the design, and
to a lesser extent is present in the whisperlight, too (I singed my
eyebrows the first time I tried to light mine).

The problem is the lag time because of the fuel hose.  There is a few
seconds worth of flow in the fuel hose (tube, whatever) so that even after
you close the valve, the fuel in the hose still has to empty into the priming
cup.  If you turn the valve off when you have enough fuel in the cup, you
will end up with more than you planned for, because the stuff still in
the hose is still flowing in.

The answer is to "know thy stove" after a while you should get the rhythm
of it, and be able to figure out how early to shut the valve, so that the
fuel still flowing will come out to exactly what you need.  It is an
acquired but not impossible skill!

Remember that if you let in too little fuel , you can always let in more,
but if you let in too much, it is a pain to try and drain off or wait for
some to evaporate, so err on the side of caution.

I've had my share of MSR accidents too, it just keeps me on my toes and
takes care of those pesky split ends!

-jeff

Jeff Mosenkis,
University at Albany - Psych, Anthro, Judaic Studies

jm1360@cnsvax.albany.edu

"Welcome to the psychotherapy hotline.  If you are obsessive-compulsive,
please press '1' repeatedly.  If you are co-dependant, please have someone
else press '2' for you.  If you have multiple-personality disorder, please
press '4', '5', and '6'.  If you are paranoid, don't press anything, we know
where you are and what you want."