Re: boots/GTX

>> > A word about goretex - I learned the hard way on the Trail  -
it works very well as long as it's clean.  How do you keep the
inside of your boots clean?
>>There are those of us who consider Goretex boots a scam.
Personal opinion is to buy boots for comfort, durability, etc - but
not because they're Goretex.
>> For what its worth - here is my humble opinion:
>> I agree with Jim, I think it is a good way for manufacturers to
get people to buy their shoes because "Gore-Tex" is a buzzword that
everybody can recognize (just like work boots insulated with
Thinsulate). GTX in shoes raises the price and cuts down on
breathability.  While it is a 'breathable' fabric, there is only so
much humidity it can transport, and your feet are pretty much the
most humid places on the planet (no offense to  anybody's feet).

    I agree with everything wrote about Gortex boots. Learned my
lesson after buying my first pair, would never again buy any brand
of Gortex boot. That's why I carry a pair of Gortex socks, they are
only used when needed, and they have lasted thru several pair of
boots.