Re: Enuf fat?

I use plain corn oil with my Lipton dinners.  It's pure fat.  With fat at 9
calories/gram and carbohydrate and protein both at 4 calories/gram, its easy
to see that for a given  total number of calories the lightest food weight
will that one having the highest percentage of fat.  I also carry peanuts and
other nuts rather than the peanut butter because the zip bag container for
the nuts is lighter than the peanut butter jar and they are not as messy.
 For two week section hiking I find that I can keep my caloric intake at its
normal level, 2200 calories/day, without undergoing hunger pains, and lose 5
pounds of body fat.  If I would eat nothing but pure fat during a two week
trip, and it didn't have to be packaged like oil, my total food weight would
be 0.54 pounds/day.  For a more normal diet of 35% fat and 65% carbohydrates
and proteins, total unpackaged and perfectly dehydrated food  weight would be
0.84 pounds/day.  90% dehydrating efficiency and 95% packaging efficiency
brings this up to 0.99 pound/day, much less than the suggested 1.75
pounds/day for thru-hikers.

Hood Ornament