RE: boots/GTX

>On Tue, 26 Mar 1996, Jim Owen wrote:
>> Jennifer -
>>
>> A word about goretex - I learned the hard way on the Trail  - it works very
>> well as long as it's clean.  How do you keep the inside of your boots clean?
>>
>> There are those of us who consider Goretex boots a scam.   Personal
>> opinion is to buy boots for comfort, durability, etc - but not because
>> they're Goretex.
>
>For what its worth - here is my humble opinion:
>I agree with Jim, I think it is a good way for manufacturers to get
>people to buy their shoes because "Gore-Tex" is a buzzword that everybody
>can recognize (just like work boots insulated with Thinsulate).
>
>GTX in shoes raises the price and cuts down on breathability.  While it is a
>'breathable' fabric, there is only so much humidity it can transport, and your
>feet are pretty much the most humid places on the planet (no offense to
>anybody's feet).
>
>I mentioned before that I have a pair of Fabiano Trionics, a popular boot
>that consistently gets high marks.  Before I got them, I spoke to Michael
>and Ed Fabiano who said that they decided to stop using GTX in their line
>of boots.  It just didn't work, despite all the wonderful pamphlets the
>people at Gore will send you if you ask (1-800-431-GORE)
>
>Again, just my opinion
>
>-jeff
>
>(or "Gear Weenie" as I am known to my friends)

>Jeff Mosenkis,
>University at Albany - Psych, Anthro, Judaic Studies
>

>jm1360@cnsvax.albany.edu
>
>"Welcome to the psychotherapy hotline.  If you are obsessive-compulsive,
>please press '1' repeatedly.  If you are co-dependant, please have someone
>else press '2' for you.  If you have multiple-personality disorder, please
>press '4', '5', and '6'.  If you are paranoid, don't press anything, we know
>where you are and what you want."
>
>I'll put my opinion in here too. I had a pair of Danner Mtn. Lights for
about 5 years. The Gore Tex wasn't worth the price. The boots kept my feet
hot in hot weather and wet when it rained. I liked the boots otherwise. My
new boots are Asolo 556's,, or Pinnacles, which do not have goretex. So far,
I really like them, almost as well as the Raichle Montagna's I had for 15
years.

Pete