Re: boots

On Tue, 26 Mar 1996 Pooombah@aol.com wrote:

> hi all.
> i tried on two pairs of boots this weekend, the vasque sundowner and the
> merril rimrock.  i have to say that the infamous sundowner did nothing for
> me.  but the rimrocks were VERY comfortable.  does anyone have any experience
> with them?
> alisa

Hey,

I can just share what I have heard, and I have heard a lot of horror
stories about Merril quality.  I don't think I would buy a pair after
seeing virtually everybody I know who has had Merrils (the serious ones,
not around-town shoes) have problems.  Of course there is the infamous
Olympic - very comfortable, but the seams blow after a couple of weeks.
I think the next incarnation was a little better, but not much.
I have a pair of Scarpa/Fabiano Trionics.  I'm *very* happy with them and
everybody I know who has them likes them, too.  My friend proudly
displayed his which are still holding up fine after 5 years of heavy
abuse (of course he has not thru-hiked with them yet).

Just my $.02

As far as your question on MEC goes:
I have seen their catalog and was very impressed by the prices.
Especially the home brand there.  A good friend of mine got their
insulated Gore-Tex pants and just loves them (he originally ordered them
because Backpacker mag rated them #1 that year).
I'm too afraid to actually go to the store because I'm afraid I would
leave a pauper!

Just a tip on exchange rates:  I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I
have been told that if you use a credit card to pay, the card will give
you whatever the best exchange rate of that entire month was (which might
add up if you are buying a lot)
Also: if you are thinking about doing mail order from them, my friend
ordered his stuff around Christmas - bad idea!  They just sat for a few weeks
waiting to go through customs because of the seasonal rush.

let me know how it is
-jeff

Jeff Mosenkis,
University at Albany - Psych, Anthro, Judaic Studies

jm1360@cnsvax.albany.edu

"Welcome to the psychotherapy hotline.  If you are obsessive-compulsive,
please press '1' repeatedly.  If you are co-dependant, please have someone
else press '2' for you.  If you have multiple-personality disorder, please
press '4', '5', and '6'.  If you are paranoid, don't press anything, we know
where you are and what you want."