Re: trail maintenance in PA??

>sharon...i contacted the northeast chapters of the AT asking for information
>on how we could help.  i should be getting info in the next couple of days.
> i'll pass it on.  june will be here before we know it and may not be too
>late tho i'm itching to get out there.  i'll definitely keep you (all)
>posted.
>alisa

Alisa -

If you're looking for a place to do some trail maintenance, the Keystone
Trails Association runs weekend trips.  But we don't do the AT - the AT
maintenance is run through the clubs.  I suspect you may already have it,
but the PATC home page is at: http://io.datasys.swri.edu/PATC/patc.html

They always seem to be looking for volunteers.

Just in case you might be interested in non-AT maintenance, I'll include
the KTA Trailcare schedule.  The KTA crew works mostly on Pennsylvania
trails that are in danger of being closed due to lack of use, storm damage,
lack of maintenance, etc.

And I'll extend everyone a personal invitation to join us.  Unfortunately,
Ginny & I won't be at the first one - we'll be in Arizona.

Anyway, here's the 1996 KTA Trailcare Schedule -

April 19, 20, 21: LINK TRAIL - NORTHERN SECTIONS
Leader: Mike Sausser (717) 628-5205

We will camp at Rich Scanlon's hunting camp near McAlvey's Fort, PA.
Call or E-Mail Rich(717)242-1644 or richards@pennet.net for a map
and/or directions. The traditional blueberry pancake breakfast will be
served.

17, 18, 19 May : LINK TRAIL- SOUTHERN EXTENSIONS
Leaders: Ron Kutz (717) 243-1713 and Carl Lorence (717) 234-1521

Camp at Camp Sinoquipe 1.9 miles north of US 522 at Fort Littleton.
Bring a waterjug.

7, 8 ,9 June : CHUCK KEIPER TRAIL
Leader: Dave Maxwell (412) 341-7632

Camp at the Fish Dam Camp on PA 144. Water available from a nearby
pipe spring. We will try to catch up on some much needed work on the CKT.

12, 13, 14 July : LOST MOUNTAIN TRAIL
No leader as yet. Leave E-Mail for me (richards@pennet.net) for questions

Camp at the group camping area in Black Moshannon State Park. Build one
of the first sections of this new trail along the Allegheny Front.

2, 3, 4 August : DONUT HOLE TRAIL
Leader : Joe Healey (717) 655-4979

We may be camping at Hyner Run State Park. More information as we
get closer to the date. Check with the trip leader or leave a message
at: richards@pennet.net

23, 24, 25 August : TERRACE MOUNTAIN TRAIL
Leader : Rich Scanlon (717) 242-1644 or richards@pennet.net

We will be working on the Terrace MountainTrailand camp at Seven
Points Recreation Area at LakeRaystown, only if the Park officials don't
turn it over to mountain bikes. Otherwise we will workon the Loyalsock
Trail and camp at World's End State Park. More information about this
as the date approaches.

6, 7, 8 September : NORTH COUNTRY TRAIL
Leader : Mark Eckler (412) 588-6164

We will be working near Moraine State Park. If the Game Commission
has not approved the routethru the State Game Lands 95, we will be
working elsewhere in Western Pennsylvania. More information to come
on this trip.

11, 12, 13 October : MID STATE TRAIL- SOUTHERN EXTENSION
Leader : Tom Thwaites (814) 237-7703

Camp at Canoe Creek State Park. Will be working in the State Game
Lands 73 if approval comesfrom the Game Commission.

1, 2, 3 November : QUEHANNA TRAIL
Leader : Ralph Seeley (814) 692-8223

We will camp at Parker Dam State Park and do general trail work
on the Quehanna Trail.

This is straight from the KTA homepage at:
http//www.reston.com/kta/kta.html

Hope to see some of you there.

Jim