Re: Whites Weather

At 02:15 PM 3/24/96 -0600, you wrote:
>Poohbear wrote:
>>...COLD and WINDY.  Bring
>>windpants and polartec and mittens/gloves (yes, even in July!)
>
>AT2000 wrote:
>>   In July in NH the worst you could get is rain. As long as your prepared
>>for it, no real cold weather gear is neccessary.
>
>Now I'm really confused!  Poohbear and AT2000, what's it gonna be? :-)
>Along with the shorts and t-shirts, I was thinking of taking med-wt.
>polypro undies and raingear.  Would this be enough to keep me warm?  Or
>should I take polartec (200?) pants and pullover?  How about a hat and
>gloves at least?
>
>>I was just hiking in southern Virginia and saw a Strider in the register at
>>Wilson Creek Shelter, you maybe?
>
>Not I... I adopted "Strider" after last summers hike in Pensy-prior to that
>"Hay Seed" was my trail name.  Haven't heard of any other Strider's before.
>I took the name from Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings."  One of the main
>characters, Aragorn, has a trail name too- Strider.  :-)
>

>Matt  Holmes                       "A penny will hide the biggest star in
>the sky
>'Strider'                                    if you hold it close enough to
>your eye."
>holmess@ufrsd.k12.nj.us                           --Samuel Grafton
>

>                      if you hold it close enough to
>your eye."
>holmess@ufrsd.k12.nj.us                           --Samuel Grafton

Any weather in the Whites that would require gloves could easily be waited
out unless you must go, go, go, rain or shine. I've been on Mt Washington in
july and january and common sense is needed more than a ton of gear. When
you step above treeline, evaluate the weather. Never go forward if a storm
is approaching.

AT2000