Last Franklin Update (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 22 Mar 96 22:32:27 EST
From: Richard Kushman <70304.1011@compuserve.com>
Subject: Last Franklin Update

Day 21  - Friday  3/22/96   No Miles
The morning was still chilly but the sun was shining and the temperature
was expected to rise. We met Kurt who came back to Franklin after trudging
through deep snow. He decided to wait until Sunday to continue and allow
for the sun to work. Thunder and Lightning left to hike from Wallace Gap
and returned after getting to Winding Stair. The night promised 18 to 22
degree temperatures which was not inviting. We understand Dr. Green and
Johnny Quest have skipped ahead closer to Wesser.

Most of the other hikers as well as ourselves were planning to leave
Saturday. The forecast looked good and we might have to pay property tax
in Franklin if we stay longer.

Dinner this evening for thirteen at the Hickory Ranch. Suddenly a
distinguished looking gentleman is shaking my hand and introducing
himself as John Newman "Oliver Twist", husband of "Possum Poop Patty".
John has followed our updates and knew where to find us. He is an avid
hiker and trail angel.....What are the chances.

We heard a rumor that the Smokies were closed but a call to the park
proved otherwise. The ranger did say many hikers had left the park
because of snow.

*** BLUE BLAZE ABOUT TRAIL MAINTENANCE **
Considering the storm damage we have seen, especially in Georgia, the
amount of work extended by all the men and women of all the trail clubs
is outstanding. They keep people like ourselves safely hiking The
Appalachian Trail. Thank you ... one and all.
Tomorrow we go hiking.

"Download" & "Nexmo"