Altitude vs climate

    In my flying career I learned that air cools about 3 degrees F per 1000
feet of altitude increase.  This is the "normal lapse rate;" it varies with
weather, and air temperature can sometimes increase with altitude ("thermal
inversion").

Is there a rule of thumb which relates climate and altitude, e.g.,

1000 feet elevation gain = X miles further north, or
                           X days earlier in the season?

BTW, my friend Speleofoot, who thru-hiked the AT in 1995, found the Avocet
wrist altimeter/watch unserviceable under the conditions of the trail.
Three of them died on him.  Avocet refused to honor the warranty but REI
replaced them quickly.

--

Frank     reid@indiana.edu     NSS 9086     W9MKV