alisa's list part 2

here's part 2 with responses from dwayne, pat, and alice.
alisa....

Subj:	Re: my list
Date:	96-03-12 14:41:44 EST
From:	drichff@nando.net
To:	Pooombah@aol.com

On Tue, 12 Mar 1996, Pooombah@aol.com wrote:
>here's my list as i sent it to the other 'reviewers'....
>
>ok.  here it is.  like I said, this is a little daunting...i hope there s
not
>too much to laugh at.  with the help of a campmor catalog, I was able to
>obtain the weights of just about everything and guesstimated the rest.  the
>grand total came to 22.35lbs for each of us.  that was without food and
>water.

Well if you take my advice it would be just fools advice because I haven't
thru
hiked.  I have hiked some small sections of the trail.  I leave March 28th
for
two weeks on the trail with a buddy of mine.  I will come home after two week

or the Nantahalla Outdoor Center.  He will continue North towards Katahdin.
There were some things on the list that I may question.  Your allowance for
duct tape is small depending on how much you are going to carry.  I would
suggest getting a repair kit for the stove you buy and learn how to use it.
Hopefully you won't need it but it's better to know now rather than later.  I

am taking an msr 600 int'l.  My friend is taking an apex featherlite. I am
taking mine even though he is taking his because I am in the business of
helping people when things go wrong.  I know that sometimes crap happens and
want to be prepared. Your solution of sharing equip. though will work very
well.  Just call me paranoid.  I suggest one person take the fuel bottle and
one person carry the stove.  Also manufacturers weights are sometimes
accurate
and sometimes aren't.  Have you purchased the waterprrof shell gortex parka?
carry a goretex rain jacket and pants.  I use layering to make up for the
lack
of warmth in the goretex jacket.  I basically use the jacket in cold dry
weather to cut the wind.  I would also suggest taking the tent you have or
buy
and seal the seams even if the manuf. say that the seams are sealed.  There
is
nothing worse than a wet tent and sleeping bag.  Also don't forget the weight

of stuff sacks for carrying clothes.

>??replacement filter cartridge - worth carrying? (3oz)

I think it is.  I had a pur hiker and it clogged on me one time.  Luckily a
friend had another filter. I use a pur explorer filter but carry a spare
filter
cartridge, just in case.

>??small sunshower (3.5 oz). - worth it?

Personal preference.  It's your hike.  I'm not taking one but I don't
worrying
that much about how I look on the trail.  I look like woody from Cheers when
start (at least that is what people tell me).  After a week or so I have a
beard with a reddish tint to it (which I am not fond of) but I am not going
shave every day either.  I noticed you carry only one bandana.  I would
recommend at least two and maybe three.  Each different colors.  One color
two
wipe the sweat, one to use as a washcloth use your pack towel to dry and one
color to use as a headband or to cover your head in the heat.  You will
experience both hot and cold.  Sometimes in the same day.

>sunshower soap (sm. bottle-highly concentrated, good on hair, dishes,
>clothes, etc.) (4oz)

Is this liquid ounces or weight ounces.  There is a difference.

>multi-vitamins (4oz)
>aspirin (1oz)
My personal opinion is that you would want to take more than 4oz of vitamins
and 1oz of aspirin.  Both of these will be very valuable on the trail (my
opinion)

>couple of airplane bottles (additional painkiller)
	I take it these are the small bottles of alcohol you get while
traveling or for individual drinks?  My opinion is leave these at hom.  If
you
want alcohol, drink while not on the trail.  There are enough problems and
accidents without any impairment no matter how small on the trail.  Plus
alcohol leads to dehydration which can kill.

>seam sealer (2oz)  --perhaps this could go in a send-ahead box

Yes put som in the go ahead box.  If you hike the whole trail you will need
apply this about 2 to 3 times while on the trail depending on the weather and

use.

>potable aqua w/ pa plus (1oz)

Like someone suggested earlier try these at home to make sure that you can
stand the taste even if there is a taste killer included.

>??thermarest r lite chair kit (10oz)  (worth 10oz for a relaxing sit?)

Once again personal reference.  I am contemplating taking one with me.  I
haven't seen too many thru hikers carrying one but it's up to you.

>2 cotton t-shirts (10oz)

I traded in my cotton t-shirts and have purchased coolmax t-shorts.
 Everytime
I hiked the trail last year it rained every day I was on the trail.  Nothing
cotton dried out while they were hanging up in the shelters.  I personally
wouldn't carry anymore cotton than I absolutely had to in the colder months
especially.  The cotton can hold the moisture next to you and cause
hypothermia.

>??ltwt. flip flops  (are camp shoes typically carried?) (6oz)

I carry some type of camp shoes.  It's nice to relax the feet after a hard
day
of hiking.  I usually gather water in them.
	I have some more fools advice to give you.  Get your gear together and
hike and camp some with it.  Light your stove cook your meals.  Carry your
pack.  That way you will get a better idea of what works and what doesn't.
Also buy two pairs of boots.  Break both of them in early.  What you haven't
bought them allready? <grin> A good pair of broken in boots when your first
pair come apart will save you many bad miles on the trail.  For all the
equip.
you carry make sure you have the customer service 800 numbers handy.
 Laminate
them if possible.  They will probably be needed and will be great assistance
if
help with your equipment is need while hiking.  Like I have said above.  It's

your decisiion on what to carry.  There are towns where you can buy some
things.  I know that the Blue Spruce Outfitters in Black Mountain cater
mostly
to thru hikers.  "J.J." whose trail name is veins is co owner I believe and a

good source of knowledge when you get that far.  His real name is John
McFerrin.  I wish you the best.

Dwayne "drichff@nando.net"
Firefighter-3 / N.C. EMT    / Basic Rescue Technician
Fire Patch Trader           / Carolinas Fire Page (Disp.701)
Appalachian Trail Hiker (Trailname "BACKDRAFT")
Ham Operator KC4ADW        QRP-L #336
" Strive for Perfection, Settle for Excellence"
Subj:	Re: alisa's list
Date:	96-03-12 15:12:15 EST
From:	gfrost@amsdc.mhs.compuserve.com (Sheila Mellen)
To:	Pooombah@aol.com

My quick comments on the list

shared gear-i have a partner
*  Note, if your partner goes home (sick, hurt, bored, etc. you'll have
his/her stuff too)

tent - have a Eureka Alpinelite2, (6lbs).
*  way too heavy  - tents for two can still be found in the 3 pound range

??ground cloth (poly) for tent (12oz)
* again, way too heavy - 2 mil plastic is enough

water filter - have a pur scout (12oz)
??replacement filter cartridge - worth carrying? (3oz)

1 mess kit (2 pots w/ covers) (1lb.)
1 pot will do
stove - thinking about purchasing an Apex multi-fuel (1lb. 4oz)
1Lt.  fuel bottle (4.7oz) - full  (??oz)
32 oz fuel bottle is lighter, both empty and full the quart size is not
necessary

??small sunshower (3.5 oz). - worth it?
*  no, but be sure you have a water bag which is similar and absolutely
essential.  Often the spring is 1/2 mile from the shelter, and you'll need to
carry it.  There are wonderful lightweight 3 gallon bags for this.  They are
also good to use for showers, just stick in a tree and stand underneath.

small stuff....
sunshower soap (sm. bottle-highly concentrated, good on hair, dishes,
clothes, etc.) (4oz)
* biodegradable??

small scrubber brush (for pots/grimy body) (2oz)

sm bug repellent (2oz)  You won't need this until after Virginia

sm sunblock (2oz)

sm funnel for fuel (1oz)
tooth powder (1oz)
multi-vitamins (4oz)
aspirin (1oz)
couple of airplane bottles (additional painkiller)
12-pack of beer (just kidding   ;)
* some people do it.  I';ve carried one or two out of town when it wasn't too
far
seam sealer (2oz)  --perhaps this could go in a send-ahead box
*yes
sm spool of thread, needle (1oz)
sm roll duct tape (2oz)
1 sm. first aid kit (14oz)
1 emergency blanket (2oz)
potable aqua w/ pa plus (1oz)
maps/guidebook (only those needed before next pick-up) (5oz)
* cut weight by cutting out only those pages you will need for that section,
unless you are a born tourist like me and enjoy reading about the history,
geography etc. while actually there

extra ziplock baggies (2oz)
bear bag/rope (6oz)
*Rope is good - I assume you mean a food bag?

food....(ugh)
**haven t put nearly enough time or thought into this...planning on
dehydrating fancy little meals thanks to the recipes that have come through
the pipeline on this list.

*Liptons dinners are cheap and filling and don't weigh too much.

personal gear

pack (~6lbs 8oz.  stil shopping)
2 water bottles (7oz or 3.5oz each)
thermarest (1lb 9oz)
* Can you find one that weighs less?  Get the 3/4 length size

??thermarest r lite chair kit (10oz)  (worth 10oz for a relaxing sit?)
*No!

40 degree bag (2lbs 6oz)
overbag (2lbs 8oz.) to be sent home for middle portion of the trail
*heavy overbag
*Don't send any warm weather gear home until after Mt. Rogers in Virginia
(Pearisburg is good)

pack towel (3oz)
mug (4oz)
1 light D biner (1.5oz) _ for water bottle?  We carry a pint bottle on the
outside of the pack in a carabiner

TP in baggie (1.5oz)
sm deoderant
*Useless

compass (1oz)
*Not necessary -  the trail is well blazed.  If you lose blazes, just go
back.

whistle (1oz) - probably not needed
lighter (2oz) - take two
knife (2oz)
fork/spoon (same utensil) (1oz)
headlamp (3.5oz)
2 extra batteries (2oz)
*Put batteries in your send ahead box,  you don't use them up very fast  At
dark, you'll be asleep

gore-tex rain hat(or sun if you re an optimist)  (4.5oz)
waterproof/breathable parka (2lbs 3oz)
*Heavy!!!
??poncho for warm days?
*Not any use.  On those ridges, it is windy.  If it is really warm, the rain
feels good.  If it's cold, you need a jacket - a light weight nylon jacket
will do in the summer, and mostly won't be used

waterproof/breathable shell pants (11 oz)  or will nylon be ok?
* You'll want to get rid of these in Virginia, get back in the Whites

3 pair liner socks (4.2oz or 1.4oz each)
3 pair heavy-duty socks (12oz or 4oz each) Go for the light ones
??gaitors (7.5oz)
*I only use gaitors in heavy snow, didn't carry them on the trail, never
missed them.

??insteps --not sure if it gets icy down there in georgia...they are pretty
lightweight
*Not necessary

waterproof overmitts (4oz)
*Get rid of after Roan Mountain

liners (1oz)
tutle fur hat/neck gaitor (2.5oz)
*Hat is necessary - I don't know about the neck gaitor - I don't use one.  In
winter I use a balaclava, but not on the AT

1 bandana (1oz)

clothes i m pretty curious about...this most likely is not a complete list.

1 pair med. weight tights (8oz)
light weights to hike in unless you run really cold
??1 pair exp. weight tights (10oz)
Probably not necessary unless you start very early (ie February
1 med weight crewneck (8oz)
*Again light weight to hike in - carrying that pack warms you up fast
1 polartec fleece shirt (12oz)
3 pairs underwear (4oz)
2 cotton t-shirts (10oz)
??ltwt. flip flops  (are camp shoes typically carried?) (6oz)
Good idea - either tevas or snearkers, but go light  They make a backup if
your boots fall apart
2 pairs shorts (12oz)

journal/ball point pen (6oz)
reading material  (6oz)

there it is.  this was put together without any lengthy thought.  when work
gets too monotonous I just jot stuff down.  i ll enjoy your comments.
thanks!
alisa  pooom

Camera??

You are carrying stove, tent, pots and filter - what is your partner
carrying?  It seems like you got it all!

Subj:	Re: yet another request
Date:	96-03-12 18:16:39 EST
From:	pvande2@gl.umbc.edu (vandermolen patricia)
To:	Pooombah@aol.com

On Tue, 12 Mar 1996 Pooombah@aol.com wrote:
Alisa,
	Here's a few of my recommendations (my guilder's worth)
> ??small sunshower (3.5 oz). - worth it?
	Probably the first to go. You could use water bottle/ wringing out
rag, etc. I used to rinse off in streams (no soap). One night when I was
alone in a shelter on the Blue Ridge, it started to rain & I thought,
hmmm, it'd be great to have a shower...best one I ever had!
 > small scrubber brush (for pots/grimy body) (2oz)
	I tended to use pine needles/ leaves, throw in the boiling water
at the last. Scrubbies get pretty rank after a short while.
> seam sealer (2oz)  --perhaps this could go in a send-ahead box
	Probably a send ahead, I sealed my tent 15 years ago, and again
this year. Just test out your tent before you go to make sure you caught all
the spots.
> sm roll duct tape (2oz)
	Just wrap some duct tape around a pencil or toothbrush. Saves space
& wt. (ok, we're only talking 2 oz. here but you probably won't use that much
duct tape)
> 2 water bottles (7oz or 3.5oz each)
	I'd consider one larger bottle i.e. 1-2 L pepsi bottle or I like
a wide mouth water bottle (I put my rehydrating food in it in the am
after breakfast & tuck it into midpack so it cooks as I walk - esp. in cold
weather, and an extra for drinking water. I also have carried the inner
bag from boxed wine for filling up at camp (could double as your
sunshower or hey, maybe use your sunshower as an extra water bag for
those drought times...just don't put unpurified water in)
> ??thermarestír lite chair kit (10oz)  (worth 10oz for a relaxing sit?)
iffy -- that's nearly a pound. A thermorest tucked next to your backpack
probably would accomplish the same.
> pack towel (3oz)
	I still love my handiwipes -- really lite, I carried a few
colors, so I knew what was a face towel & what was not so good!
> mug (4oz)
	One thing I've started carrying is the Aladdin insulated mugs
with a top - hook it to my pack with a carabiner...its plastic, usually
cheap & keeps things warm or cold (how do it know!)
> sm deoderant
	(a luxury! -- I don't think they make an industrial strengh one!
> ??poncho for warm days?
	yes! Mine doubled as a tarp when I didn't carry my tent fly & needed
shelter. Plus mine fit over the pack & I didn't need a pack cover...good
since the dog doffed her doggie pack with the rest of the rain gear enroute
up Springer!
> waterproof/breathable shell pants (11 oz)  or will nylon be ok?
	Yes. I still have my coated nylon pants, coupled with a pair of
long johns you have a warm set.
> 3 pair liner socks (4.2oz or 1.4oz each)
	I never wear liner socks -- what I do is vaseline my feet before
putting on my socks & I've never gotten a blister since. This also keeps
my feet warm & fairly dry. Some folks swear by liners, but they always
bunched up on me.
> 3 pair heavy-duty socks (12oz or 4oz each)
	Just make sure they're wool or polypropelene I started using some
Thorlo Trekker socks this year & am impressed. You might carry 2 pairs &
send a spare ahead. Although, the extra pair can always sub for mittens
if needed
> ??gaitors (7.5oz) I found those handy
> 1 bandana (1oz) Yes! This also subs as splint, vanity decor, etc.
> 1 pair med. weight tights (8oz)
> ??1 pair exp. weight tights (10oz)
I'm thinking you're talking about longjohns here. Make sure they're polypro
or wool. Avoid cotton. I had one pair of med wt. polypro..I'd go with the
exp. weight at first & send the med wt. to a maildrop for warmer weather.
Then send the heavy wt. on to when you'll be back in cool weather again.
You'll find that you stop being too concerned about wearing the same thing
several times (Think European, they wear the same outfit for several days
but with fresh underwear!)
 > 1 med weight crewneck (8oz)
	One thing I love, is an angora wool turtleneck, ltwt. that I got
from the goodwill store, really warm. I would definitely take both the
crewneck (wool or polypro) & the fleece (or perhaps a lt. wool sweather, ie.
shetland pullover)
> 1 polartec fleece shirt (12oz)
> 3 pairs underwear (4oz)
	One thing that will also give you a little more mileage on the
underwear, is some lt.wt panty liners -- these can also sub as wound
dressings. The bad thing is you have to pack them out...but I found that
it was worth the slight wt.
> 2 cotton t-shirts (10oz)
You'll find that cotton really really smells and takes forever to dry.
	I had a nylon top and I did carry one t-shirt that virtually
disintegrated at the end.
> ??ltwt. flip flops  (are camp shoes typically carried?) (6oz)
	I like the little cotton chinese slippers myself. Occ. I switch
to them on flat terrain. Wts about the same
> 2 pairs shorts (12oz)
	Again, you might consider the nylon type -- thinking in terms of
quick drying. (also some have buildt in underwear, which eliminates the
underwear wt.

> journal/ball point pen (6oz)
Yes! I just finished reading my 81 journal & I wrote every single day...all
the people and bears and centipedes and nettles and jewelweed and azaleas all
came flooding back to me!
> reading material  (6oz)
	I often carry a large book, cut in sections when I hike (i.e. Les
Miserables took me several years of weekend trips. I picked up a few
paperbacks when I was on the trail at a town here, a yardsale there. My first
book on the trail was Creek Mary's Blood written by Dee Brown (Bury My Heart
at Wounded Knee) which took place near Dalahnaga (sp.) Ga, where the aT
starts.

Hope my input is some help. You'll discover quickly for yourself what you
think is important & what isn't. One of my favorite memories of the trail was
coming into Damascus & having a package with a freshly laundered & IRONED
cotton gingham shirt waiting for me! Ok, so I sometimes carry cotton!
Actually that was the shirt that disintegrated!

Happy Hiking! Pat
Subj:	Your list
Date:	96-03-12 18:30:40 EST
From:	IL Fltlndr
To:	Pooombah

Okay Alisa 'pooom'-- I've thought about your list.  I am just slow and this
will probably take several mailings.  I work (duh) and then have other stuff
I always have got to do.  The last two days the nice weather has distracted
me and I've gotten out and walked a few miles. Better get to business.

Tent-We also carry a 6# tent and have always been glad we did.  The vestibule
is great for those times when it is raining and you don't want to drag your
wet gear all the way inside the tent, but need it when you get out (boots
mostly, but I always put my raingear there too in case we wake up to rain).

Ground cloth-I'd recommend one.  We just use a medium wgt. plastic from the
store, but this probably wouldn't survive a thru-hike.  I don't know how hard
a large piece of plastic is to pick up at a small hardware store.

Water filter- yours is very sufficient

Mess kit-some people just care one pot, but we carry two & one lid.

Stove-the Apex II sounds like a nice stove.  We have a MSR Whisper-lite.  It
doesn't simmer, which is a pain, but most lightwgt. stoves don't.

We carry 1 qt. of fuel for two weeks & have never had a problem running out.

I'd ditch the sunshower.  It just isn't worth it.  You can usually find a
shower once a week or so, and just sponge bath in between.  The sponge bath
will not be so easy at the shelters, therefore tent out one night. :-))

We carry soap sometimes, and sometimes we don't.  I can't tell if it makes a
darn bit of difference in how I feel, or how clean the dishes are.  Plain old
water seems to do quite well.  It's up to you.

Small scrubber-I use one of those flat green scouring pads cut in half (I
only take 1/2 a one with us).  I also take one of those white $.50 plastic
pan scrapers (they are about 2"x 2" x 1/8").  Both of these can't weigh more
than an ounce and a half.  Hint: Never fry scrambled eggs unless you got a
good cover of grease in the bottom of your pan!  What a mess!

Bug Repellent--Not much use for this.  There's no  mosquitos down south.
 Ocassionally the gnats might annoy you, but no big deal.  Up North are the
black flies, but I've had no experience with them.  I understand nothing
keeps them at bay.

Sunblock-I've never used any.  95% of the time you are in the shade (except
when it is 100 degrees).  I've only gotten sunburnt once going acrossed the
balds in upper TN.  I wouldn't carry a lot of this at any rate.

You don't need the fuel funnel.  There's always an innovative way to get the
fuel into your bottle.

Keep the tooth powder.  There's something clean feeling about brushing with
something.  We also use powder.  You haven't listed your brushes.  We use
those traveling brushes, but we don't pack the covers.

Multi-vitamins are important. Calcium is important too to help leg cramps.(my
age is telling)

What are airplane bottles?  I must not fly enough!

I think the beer should be replaced with a 4 pk of wine coolers.

Seam sealer--I like that new kind better than that liquidy kind.  I gotta go
check it's name.
Figures!  I don't have any.  It comes in a tube, and it is called "Seam Grip"
or something like that.  It is a lifetime of the tent type sealer.  I
personally wouldn't carry the seam sealer with me.

Instead of a thread & needle, carry unwaxed dental floss & a needle.  The
dental floss is stronger & can be used for repairs, as string, etc.

Duct tape-I never carried any until last time I went out.  I carried it
because I have been struggling for 3 yrs. painful ankle (like tendonitis).  I
heard that duct tape is better for sprains than the elastic bandage as it
won't allow the ankle to swell so bad.  Well, I hated the feel of the tape. I
used it for ankle support.  It would be great for rips in the tent or
whatever.  I've never gotten a rip in our tent in 10 years......so, I too
wonder.  I carry a small piece of tent repair tape & no duct tape (now). Duct
tape is great to keep the sole on your boot and to tape the boyfriends mouth
shut when you reach the end of your patience.  %-)

First aid kit-Not a lot of bandaids needed, but tons and tons of moleskin &
Second Skin(I think that's what it's called--my mind is on vacation!)
 Bandaids on the feet don't stay on, so they will only be good for cuts when
you fall on your face.  I have used a bandaid once if I remember right.  I
carry Neosporin cream.  I like the moleskin for corns with the hole in the
center.  I carry 2 sizes of them and then the lgt. wt. and med. wgt.
moleskin.  I carry a little bitty scissors to cut it with.  Cutting it with a
knife drove me nuts!

I guess I never carry my emergency blanket anymore.  Dumb perhaps, but we
usually hike between May and October.  Once in June in GA I thought I  was
headed for hypothermia.  I hid out in a roadside outhouse with my husband's
long-john top on for a while.  He wasn't cold, but I was shivering up a
storm!  We started walking again and the weather cleared some and I warmed up
again.  Scary!  I guess I'd consider carrying it only if you think you might
be short on clothes.  Definetly layer your clothing.

I would carry iodine tablets, but not a water filter backup cartridge.  I'd
have that sent to you, or retreive it at about the 1/2 way point at a mail
drop

I like maps and guidebooks.  We once (in error) hiked without either.  We
ended up passing several water sources--and walked 10 miles without seeing
water.  Not funny!
Some hikers never have maps or guides, or just carry the map.  I like a
compass to, so that I can tell what I am looking at.  Once in a while you'll
get off the trail & it can be handy if you become disoriented.

Skip the extra zip lock bags.  You'll have extra ones as you eat your food.
 This year I am going to try Hefty One Zip bags.  Check them out.

Bear bag/rope--We use a stuff sack for our bear bag.  We also carry our food
in it inside the pack.  The rope we use is climbing rope; very small in
diameter, but strong.  We carry 3 trash can size plastic bags with us.  One
of them goes around the "bear bag" at night, so if it rains/dew/etc. it stays
dry.  Also I noticed the mice leave it alone then.  I think it cuts down on
the smell of the food.  Shelters mice.....I  doubt it would stop them!!

Time for me to quit here.  More later.

IL Fltlndr  "Alice"

Subj:	Your list continued
Date:	96-03-13 15:05:37 EST
From:	IL Fltlndr
To:	Pooombah

I'm back.  It was time to fix supper last night.

Personal Gear:

Pack: Wish I had a new one.  Get a comfortable one and compare empty weight.
 My husband's is 5200 ci and weighs 6# 2oz. internal frame.

Between the both of us we carry 3 qt. bottles and a gallon water bag.  The
water bag is *real* helpful at camp.  Water sources can be hard to reach &
with the bag you have to make only one trip and then can filter the water
back at camp.  Also good when you want to camp away from a water source such
as when you have daylight left and can hike another mile or two, but no water
ahead.

We used to carry the foam sleeping pads, but now added the weight of the
thermarests for our achy old bones.  I would advise against carrying the
chair kit. You can lean against the shelter wall. :-))

I would get a warmer sleeping bag.  More later about this.

Pack towel.  Make it small.  I usually carry several bandanas instead and use
one for pots & pans; another for blowing my nose, etc; another for washing my
bod.  Often we only carry 2.

Mug.  A large plastic one if you like.  The smaller Sierra size are okay, but
can be too small if you like lots of coffee/tea.  We eat our oatmean in them
as well. Usually for the main courses we eat out of the pot together.

Okay, I'm naive.  What's a D biner?

TP--yep, take this.  We take 2 rolls with the cardboard pulled out.  We each
carry 1 and one of us carries the trowel (me).  Don't forget the tampon/pads!
 This is gross, but I carry the tampons with the cardboard applicator which
will burn.  The rest I carry out (& its disgusting!  I often carry the TP out
again or burn it in a real hot fire. Most bury it, but...I am an
enviromentalist and also don't care for seeing it on the trail.  I tend to
carry it out if I am at a shelter and bury it if I am in a remote place.)
 Digging a hole through roots is not easy.  6-8" is near impossible.

Leave the deodorant at home, or mail ahead.  The bugs will love you if you
use it!  The bugs love any cosmetic smell--including soap.

I would say it was safe to leave your whistle at home.  I carried one at
first, but never have had a need for it.  I can see that if you fell off a
hill you might need it to be located, but the chance of needing it to scare a
bear (as if it would do any good!) are close to nil.

We don't carry matches anymore, just those disposable lighters.  So, yea, I'd
take a couple and have others at mail drops.

I carry a one blade pocket knife, my hubby carries a 3 blade.

Fork/Spoon utensil--We carry one durable (good) plastic spoon.

Headlamp-Good idea, esp. if you read at night, or need the extra hand at
night to drop your drawers.  We still carry a small flashlight, just because
that's what we've got & it is lighter wgt.  We no longer carry spare
batteries, but we are never out long enough to need them.  Once we did have
to change light bulbs in our flashlight.  I'd send  extra batteries ahead, as
even if they go out, it's no big deal.

I'm gonna stop here and send this again.  Mostly because I want to get online
and it's gonna send this out whether I want it to or not!  :-]

The 3rd volume will be coming along soon.

IL Fltlndr

Subj: 	More list
Date:	96-03-14  07:77:33
From:	IL Fltlndr
To:	Pooombah

alisa,

You seem undecided about your rain gear.  I carry a goretex rain jacket
w/hood and goretex pants.  I have never used gaitors, so i canít say anything
about them one way or the other.  On warm mornings with wet grass i have
thought theyíd be nice but have just slipped on my rain paints and havenít
been unhappy.  One thing i think, if you wear glasses, a rain hat or hood
should have a good bill on it to help the rain off your glasses.  I hate
walking in the rain and not being able to see!  I am unable to wear contacts
(even if they were practical on the trailóand many do wear them).  I think
that ponchos are sorta worthless because when the wind blows you have to
fight with them to keep them on.  I does get windy at high elevations when it
rains, but  then you can also have the nice drizzle for a week too.  Carry
one outfit for the rain.  I carry a nylon lgt. wgt. baseball cap for the sun.

I have trouble with my feet blistering.  My right foot has been blister free
lately, but my left still acts up.  I  have lots more problems if my socks
are wet, so i carry plenty of socks.  I figure if i havenít got my feet, i
canít hike.  I probably would carry 4 pr. Of socks and 4 pr. Of liners.  (I
need to try the vaseline idea that was posted on the list.)

I am no expert, but i think iíd leave the insteps at home.

MittensóYou can always wear socks on your hands, but i would think a pair of
waterproof overmitts would be good.  I confess to having Raynaudís Syndrome
and have problems hiking when it is cold.  Raynaudís is when blood stops
flowing to your fingers and toes due to constriction of the blood vessels.
 Itís triggered when you get cold.  You can get gangrene if they arenít
warmed up within a short time.  It irritates me as i canít think of starting
to hike too early in the year, or too late!  Another reason for me being a
sectionist.  So as far as iím concerned bring a barrel of mittens J

I donít carry a neck gaitor, but i do carry a fleece jacket with a hood.
 This keeps the back of the neck warm and also serves as a hat.

The sleeping bag issue i keep avoidingóI keep thinking that the ideal thing
would be to have 2 bags and switch them at some point.  You could use your 40
degree bag in the warmer weather.  I personally think that you need about a
15-20 degree bag or colder for both ends of the trail.  I am not sure about
the overbag.  Is it a vapor barrier?  That can sure help with warmth.  I am a
cold person, so youíll just have to make a decision and go with it.  This
fall go out with your 40 degree bag when it is 10 degrees and windy out on a
ledge somewhere and see how warm you are.  J

I am off to work.  Iíll cover clothes and whatnots later.  Bye.

Alice