alisa's list, part 1

Hello everyone.  I ended up receiving almost 50 requests for this list and
the responses i received.  You should see the mess of addresses and names i
managed to amass.  Filled half a notebook. Therefore, i figured that
constituted a high enough percentage of the list to post it  I think that
i’ll post this in sections.  I am still dealing with serious modem/comp
problems here at work and have to drive downtown just to send/receive mail
and MY aol account isn’t active on a machine...this means i have to sign on
as a guest and cannot do a flash session which makes lengthy correspondence
$$$.  Hopefully by next week i’ll be up and running again from the comfort of
my own NT.  (in case anyone is wondering why my response time has skidded to
a halt)

What follows is my original list as it was sent to seven reviewers.  You’ll
find their responses thereafter exactly as they were sent to me...complete
with addresses in case you would like to correspond to them.  You’ll find
that on some of the gear there is little agreement but when there is, it’s
probably a sign that we should pay attention.  And i must warn those of you
who get squeamish about ‘woman matters’;  they are discussed once or twice.
 I was tempted to edit those sections out but for those women who are out
there, i think it will be helpful to see them discussed.  I know that i
appreciated the candor greatly.

And so, here we go...this first posting will include the original list and

One last note...my revised list has been composed for the most part and
although many of the items from this list appear on it, there are significant
additions and subtractions, all part of the learning process.  Unfortunately
i lost my hiking partner this past weekend (as well as a good chunk of my
heart)...so i’m not sure how i would revise this for a solo hike.  Enjoy.
alisa ‘pooom’

shared gear

tent - have a Eureka Alpinelite2, (6lbs).
??ground cloth (poly) for tent (12oz)
water filter - have a pur scout (12oz)
??replacement filter cartridge - worth carrying? (3oz)
1 mess kit (2 pots w/ covers) (1lb.)
stove - thinking about purchasing an Apex multi-fuel (1lb. 4oz)
1Lt.  fuel bottle (4.7oz) - full  (??oz)
??small sunshower (3.5 oz). - worth it?

small stuff....
sunshower soap (sm. bottle-highly concentrated, good on hair, dishes,
clothes, etc.) (4oz)
small scrubber brush (for pots/grimy body) (2oz)
sm bug repellent (2oz)
sm sunblock (2oz)
sm funnel for fuel (1oz)
tooth powder (1oz)
multi-vitamins (4oz)
aspirin (1oz)
couple of airplane bottles (additional painkiller)
12-pack of beer (just kidding   ;)    )
seam sealer (2oz)  --perhaps this could go in a send-ahead box
sm spool of thread, needle (1oz)
sm roll duct tape (2oz)
1 sm. first aid kit (14oz)
1 emergency blanket (2oz)
potable aqua w/ pa plus (1oz)
maps/guidebook (only those needed before next pick-up) (5oz)
extra ziplock baggies (2oz)
bear bag/rope (6oz)

food....(ugh)
**haven’t put nearly enough time or thought into this...planning on
dehydrating fancy little meals thanks to the recipes that have come through
the pipeline on this list.

personal gear

pack (~6lbs 8oz.  stil shopping)
2 water bottles (7oz or 3.5oz each)
thermarest (1lb 9oz)
??thermarest’r lite chair kit (10oz)  (worth 10oz for a relaxing sit?)
40 degree bag (2lbs 6oz)
overbag (2lbs 8oz.) to be sent home for middle portion of the trail
pack towel (3oz)
mug (4oz)
1 light D biner (1.5oz)
TP in baggie (1.5oz)
sm deoderant
compass (1oz)
whistle (1oz)
lighter (2oz)
knife (2oz)
fork/spoon (same utensil) (1oz)
headlamp (3.5oz)
2 extra batteries (2oz)
gore-tex rain hat(or sun if you’re an optimist)  (4.5oz)
waterproof/breathable parka (2lbs 3oz)
??poncho for warm days?
waterproof/breathable shell pants (11 oz)  or will nylon be ok?
3 pair liner socks (4.2oz or 1.4oz each)
3 pair heavy-duty socks (12oz or 4oz each)
??gaitors (7.5oz)
??insteps --not sure if it gets icy down there in georgia...they are pretty
lightweight
waterproof overmitts (4oz)
liners (1oz)
tutle fur hat/neck gaitor (2.5oz)
1 bandana (1oz)

clothes i’m pretty curious about...this most likely is not a complete list.

1 pair med. weight tights (8oz)
??1 pair exp. weight tights (10oz)
1 med weight crewneck (8oz)
1 polartec fleece shirt (12oz)
3 pairs underwear (4oz)
2 cotton t-shirts (10oz)
??ltwt. flip flops  (are camp shoes typically carried?) (6oz)
2 pairs shorts (12oz)

journal/ball point pen (6oz)
reading material  (6oz)

Subj:	Re: alisa's list, Part 1