Still More Newbie Jitters!

Leaving April 15 on limited budget.  Here's my latest worry:

I have a Bugaboo liner and had intended to use my rain top as a shell.  It
doesn't breathe, obviously, but is certainly waterproof and I know this setup
is warm enough because I have been out in sub freezing temps.  Just how cold
will it often get?  Especially concerned about summits south of Roan and in
the Whites.
     I keep telling myself that plenty of people did this stuff long before
the Age of Gortex, but am I asking for trouble?